RE: XML related issues in metalink, was: Last Call: draft-bryan-metalink (The Metalink Download Description Format) to Proposed Standard

Inline...

I tend to favour non-significant whitespace - it fits with common expectations.  After all, the examples seem to assume that.

But in the end, making a decision and sticking to it is the best plan.

> Well, by making it non-significant, you'll might get interop problems
> as well.

It's XML.  Of course there will be whitespace issues.

> > In looking into this, I noted this:
> >    # Unconstrained; it's not entirely clear how IRI fit into
> >    # xsd:anyURI so let's not try to constrain it here
> >
> > I wonder why you haven't taken the plunge on xsd:anyURI, even if
> xsd:anyURI has dubious official status with regards to IRIs.  In
> practice, IRIs are commonly placed in xsd:anyURI.  The lexical space
> accommodates them, no implementation I'm aware of prevents use of IRIs.
>
> I'll assume it's inherited from RFC 4287, and that the Atom WG had good
> reasons not to use xsd:anyURI...

Ah.  Can't argue with inherited wisdom.