Re: NAT Not Needed To Make Renumbering Easy

In message <a123a5d60911080822g3797e480h4bd9b01d8f3f2266@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Phill
ip Hallam-Baker writes:
> We are so not in charge.
>
> Support for IPSEC is a requirement to describe an implementation as
> IPv6. That is all, it does not mean anyone has to use it, or that they
> will use it.
>

> There are two typical modes of deployment for IPSEC, the first is as a
> lousy remote access protocol where the lack of NAT support makes it
> far more effort than other solutions. SSL and SSH remote access just
> works, IPSEC VPN may or may not work depending on the phase of the
> moon. The third party clients are terrible, the built in support in
> the O/S is unusable because it does not have the tweaks necessary to
> get through the firewall. So we do not really have a standard for
> IPSEC remote access.
>
> The other mode for IPSEC is not really an Internet application, it is
> creating a virtual network by joining together a bunch of routers at
> local sites. Here the NAT issue is moot because the objective is to
> create a single network with a consistent IP address space. The fact
> that this is usually NAT space is not really relevant unless you are
> attempting to create an industry wide network. Have fun with that.
>
> What IPSEC has never got close to achieving is providing an Internet
> security solution in which packets are secure at the transport layer
> by default. The obvious reason for this is that IPSEC is not connected
> to a pervasively deployed PKI for authenticating the end points. There
> is no commercial infrastructure to support this today, and I doubt
> that there will be one for some time. NAT is relevant to this scenario
> only insofar as it will be aa fait acompli long before any PKI is
> established that might support pervasive IPSEC.
>
> And lest folk think I am picking on them here, the reason I raise
> problems is because I want to see them fixed, not just to carp. I want
> to deploy DNSSEC because I think that it is the most appropriate PKI
> to support packet level security.
>

> I use NAT for a very simple reason: I do not want my machines to be on
> the Internet by default. I only want my printers to be accessed by
> machines in my network. I only want the security system, the home
> automation system, the daleks, the lab, the coffee maker to be
> accessible from the network. I do not want Mr Coffee talking to
> strange computers, he has little common sense.

Well give your printers a ULA addressand don't advertise the prefix.
You don't need NAT to provide this seperation.

> Now I would like my network to have a greater geographic extent than
> just my house. But there is still a very clear distinction between
> machines that I own, that I am responsible for, that I want to connect
> to my network core and all the rest of the stuff on the Internet.
>
> Some computers, the desktops and laptops, I do want to have greater
> access, but there are only eight of them in total, that is a small
> fraction of my network.
>
> The ability to give these devices and IP address THAT WILL NOT ROUTE
> is very valuable to me as a security control. It is not a perfect
> control, but I have many, many layers to my defense in depth and I
> want all of them.
>
> We are not in charge of the Internet, but I am in charge of my
> network, and my policy is to use NAT.
>
> In a commercial environment, policy is everything. You do not get
> security from security technology, you get it from the security
> practices that the technology supports.
>
> Changing a security policy in a commercial environment is a very
> expensive affair. People are going to demand NAT66 (and cisco is going
> to support it) because it is cheaper to deploy NAT66 than change the
> policy.
>
> But even then, we are getting way ahead of ourselves. In the real
> world every network is going to have IPv4 devices on it for decades. I
> have a 36" plotter upstairs that is ten years old. I am not paying $3K
> to upgrade it just for the sake of IPv6.

And your boxes will talk to it over IPv4  even if you don't have a
external IPv4 connection.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC