Re: 答复: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for communityguidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

Hi Tian,

I think the question here is what makes for a "politically sensitive
discussion". In places where IETF meetings have historically been held, there has been a lot of distance between "technical topics" and "political topics". In the US and much of Europe, for example, discussions of techniques for avoiding firewalls or anonymizing traffic are largely considered technical, not political. (Although people might have political reasons for discussing these topics.)

The concern is that in the Chinese context, the sets of technical and political topics could be closer, if not overlapping -- that some technical topics might not be overtly political, but might be close enough to cause trouble.

--Richard

jiangt wrote:
Dear Richard and Ole,

I'm an engineer from China.  I like to check IETF mailing list and
try to keep up with the development trend of IETF. I think that
politically sensitive discussions possiblely bring troubles to the
meeting, if any. But I do not know why IETF engineers worry about someone to make a political speech in a **technical** meeting and I
want to know who plan to make such a speech?  BTW, I'm not interested
in such a speech when I attend IETF meeting, how about U?

Tian

-----邮件原件----- 发件人: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] 代表 Richard Barnes 发送时间: 2009年10月10日
8:53 收件人: Ole Jacobsen 抄送: Theodore Tso; Henk Uijterwaal;
IETF-Discussion list 主题: Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was:
Re: Request for communityguidance on issue concerning a future
meeting of the IETF

(g) many hurt Chinese engineers participate to the IETF and very
 politely do not react: have them been invited to comment?
Everyone on the IETF mailing list has been invited to comment and
that certainly includes Chinese engineers.

Indeed, I wonder if there is something to be learned from the conspicuous absence of comment by all but a very few Chinese
participants.