Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

Hi Doug,

I'm not sure where you are getting with your comment.  I would count myself
as belonging into both of your categories.  The IETF should not go to the
PRC (or any other country with a similarly questionable human rights, free
speech, and Internet restriction record) on principle, AND it would not be
prudent to meet under the contractual terms as communicated.  I would be
surprised if many of those who feel uncomfortable with the PRC as a venue on
principle can agree to the contractual terms, for the simple reason that the
contractual terms spell out an IMO despiseable policy against free speech.

If this were a vote, I would object quite strongly on not having my vote
counted as a member of your second group, just because I also belong to the
first group.

Obviously, I'm speaking in a private capacity only.  I think that the ISOC
and IETF officials have indicated sufficiently clearly those few emails
where they spoke in an official capacity, and I assume that all other mails
have been sent in private capacity as well.

(Personally, if I had a leadership role in a large, semi-political
organization, I would not have argued strongly in favor or against a
proposal on which the leadership asks the community for input.  Not even in
a private capacity.  But that's a matter of taste.)

Stephan

On 10/10/09 9:18 PM, "Doug Ewell" <doug@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ole Jacobsen <ole at cisco dot com> wrote:

>> Objectionable hotel clauses notwithstanding, some folks have argued

>> that we should basically boycott China and not hold a meeting there

>> for reasons ranging from Internet policies to Human Rights.

> I've only heard a handful of people argue against
> going to China on
principle.  Several more have expressed concerns about
> going to China on
the basis of unprecedented contractual terms.
> Statistically at least,
it might be proper to treat the first group as
> outliers in this
discussion, rather than as representative of the second
> group.

I'd sure like to see a clearer indication of whether people in
> positions
of authority are expressing opinions in that capacity, or just as

individuals.  That request is not just for you, of course.

--
Doug Ewell  |
> Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |