Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

At 09:55 PM 10/8/2009, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

>I think there is general agreement that no "normal" IETF topic should
>have to be off limits for any IETF meeting in any location. We can
>argue about the finer details of what "normal" implies and we
>certainly need to establish that such speech would not get us in
>trouble.

To rephrase in a way that you may not agree.

"We certainly need to establish that the environment of the site, host or country would not cause us or tend to cause us to modify our behavior away from that common to normal IETF meetings."

It really isn't about whether or not we might or might not get in trouble, its whether or not the plain language of the laws and contracts describe an environment which is incompatible with the IETF norm.