Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-sasl-scram-07

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 01:17:26PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 06:14:47PM +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Ben Campbell <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I'm no crypto expert, so please forgive me if this is silly--but isn't there
> > > a movement to phase out sha-1? If so, should that be the default "must
> > > implement" hash for a new mechanism?
> >
> > My understanding is that use of SHA-1 under HMAC is still considered reasonable.
> > The WG debated at length use of SHA-1 versa use of SHA-256, etc. and decided
> > to proceed with SHA-1, because it is more frequently implemented in libraries
> > and hardware.
>
> This matter has come up elsewhere, such as in the KRB-WG.  NIST has not
> obsoleted the use of HMAC-SHA-1, though I don't have a reference handy
> at the moment (but a quick search of the KRB-WG mailing list and, maybe,
> the krbdev@xxxxxxx list should yield one).

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/secure_hashing.html

"After 2010, Federal agencies may use SHA-1 only for the following
applications: hash-based message authentication codes (HMACs); key
derivation functions (KDFs); and random number generators (RNGs).
Regardless of use, NIST encourages application and protocol designers to
use the SHA-2 family of hash functions for all new applications and
protocols."

Nico