Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-sasl-scram-07

Hi Ben,
Thank you for your comments. Responding to most of them below (I will
respond to the rest in a separate message).

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Ben Campbell <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
> reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
> http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).
>
> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
> you may receive.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-sasl-scram-07
> Reviewer: Ben Campbell
> Review Date: 2009-08-23
> IETF LC End Date: 2009-08-28
> IESG Telechat date: (if known)

> This draft is almost ready for publication as a proposed standard. I have a
> few questions and editorial comments that might be worth considering prior
> to publication.
>
> Major issues:
>
> None.
>

> Minor issues:
>
> - Section 2, 1st paragraph: "...addresses the requirements necessary to
> deploy a challenge- response mechanism more widely than past attempts."
>
> What are these requirements? Are they documented somewhere? Do you mean for
> appendix A or B to express them?

Yes. I've added forward references.

[...]

> I'm no crypto expert, so please forgive me if this is silly--but isn't there
> a movement to phase out sha-1? If so, should that be the default "must
> implement" hash for a new mechanism?

My understanding is that use of SHA-1 under HMAC is still considered reasonable.
The WG debated at length use of SHA-1 versa use of SHA-256, etc. and decided
to proceed with SHA-1, because it is more frequently implemented in libraries
and hardware.

> -- section 5.1, definition of "r:", "It is important that this value be
> different for each authentication."
>
> Are there any best practices for nonce generation that can be mentioned or
> referenced?

The reference to RFC 4086 is already present elsewhere in the document,
but I added it here.

> -- Section 9, 1st paragraph:
>
> Can you describe the required properties expected from a "strong security
> layer"? (i.e. confidentiality, integrity protection, etc.)

I've added "(such as TLS with data confidentiality)". I hope this is clearer.

 [...]

> --3rd paragraph:
>
> I gather you are saying that there are techniques that mitigate the damage
> of a stolen authorization database, but the work group chose not to use
> them. Can you elaborate on the wg motivation for not doing so?

IPR claims on authentication mechanisms such as SRP.
Text commenting on IPR was removed as per Pasi's request.

> Nits/editorial comments:
>
> -- 1.1, 2nd bullet: Can you include an informational reference for RADIUS?

Added.

> -- 1.2, last bullet:
>
> What is the referent for "this"? Is there perhaps a missing word(s), or
> maybe this paragraph belongs with the previous bullet?

The latter. (This == Hi())

> -- 2, last paragraph:
>
> Do you plan for this paragraph to stay in the RFC? Is the work group mail
> list permanent enough to be published in the RFC?

Deleted.

> -- 5.1, definition of "c:", 2nd bullet: "(recall: a channel binding flag and
> an optional authzid.)
>
> I'm not sure I follow the sentence. Do you mean to say something like
> "Recall the G2 header contains a..."

Yes. Changed.

> -- IDNits reports the following:
>
>  == Outdated reference: A later version (-03) exists of
>     draft-melnikov-sasl-scram-ldap-02

The two documents would be published simultaneously, so this will go away
during editing by the RFC Editor.

> It also reports a number of false errors about undefined references. I think
> it's confused by your non-standard reference sections, which I think make
> sense under the circumstances.

Right.

Regards,
Alexey