Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 09:19:05AM -0700, Dave CROCKER wrote:
> First, you lack empirical data to substantiate your assessment of the perception.

Well, Wikipedia (which IMO is primarily useful as a repository for
finding out what "everyone knows") has this first sentence in its
description of the RFC series:

> In computer network engineering, a Request for Comments (RFC) is a
> memorandum published by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
> describing methods, behaviors, research, or innovations applicable to
> the working of the Internet and Internet-connected systems.

The fourth link from Google in response to, "What is an RFC?" says

> RFC is an acronym for Request for Comments and official documents from
> the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) with an unlimited
> distribution.  RFC's are numbered in a series and are referred to by
> numbers.

So even if those pages go on to refine their statements, I don't think
it preposterous to suggest that people think "the RFC series" is "from
the IETF".

I am totally unwilling to have an opinion on whether anyone ought to
try to do anything about this, but I don't think we should pretend
that the world is otherwise than it is.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shinkuro, Inc.