Re: One Day Pass for newcomers

--On Sunday, August 23, 2009 14:18 -0700 Doug Barton
<dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, if someone doesn't get at
>> least a day pass, I'd be happier if we charged a nominal (even
>> if only $10 - $20) fee for registration for the tutorial than
>> just open the doors.

> I disagree here. I think that opening the newcomer's session
> and (if the host is agreeable) the reception on Sunday to all
> comers would have way more benefits than costs. Of course we
> would have to capitalize on all those fresh bodies by having
> registration open and suitable promotional materials for both
> full and one-day registration prominently (yet tastefully)
> displayed.

Doug,

I think that the ability for active participants in the IETF to
get into the reception and even eat is fairly important,
probably more important than encouraging first-timers and
visitors.  I hope that you would agree with that, even though we
would both prefer to have no restrictions in that regard.

What caused my suggestion for a nominal fee and some sort of
preregistration (which that fee would imply) was a vision of the
IETF meeting in a location with nearby college campuses and the
possibility of signs (possibly put up by third parties)
advertising the reception and noting "free food" and, depending
on the location and sponsor "free beer".  I leave the rest to
your imagination.

      john