Re: One Day Guest Pass

Ross,

It's an experiment, as Alexa stated.

Experience from RIPE tend to suggest that the OVERALL attendance goes
up as a result of the availability of day passes. We don't yet know if
this applies to the IETF. Yes, we want to encourage people to stay for
the whole week for all the reasons you cite, but the economic- and
time-related reality tells us that this isn't always possible. As John
Klensin pointed out, this leaves us with three options:

* Make day-passes available

* Let people "sneak in"

* Accept that some people will not attend who would attend if we gave
  them the one-day option.

It is quite possible that a one-day pass option would cause people to
pay for one day and stay for the whole week, particularly since we're
not known for having armed guards and badge checkers, but I don't get
the sense that there are many people in this community who would want
to cheat in that way. The cookies etc do have a cost associated with
them after all, and I think this is generally understood. But the
experiment will hopefully tell us this as well.

So, we're aiming to find out if this is indeed a good idea. There are
some "local reasons" to try this in Japan where bosses typically don't
allow their staff to stay away from the office for more than a day for
events like this (unless they are "fully onboard" with what the IETF
is or does). You might consider such one-day visitors as "IETF
tourists", but it might very well help us gain new attendees in the
long run. Again, the experiment could tell us that too.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole@xxxxxxxxx  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj