Re: Proposed Policy for Modifications to Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

I would agree with Brian, but phrase it differently.

The Trust Legal Provisions document specifies exactly how the trust, and people acting based on the trust, are doing things.

There are (at least) two kinds of changes that can occur.
1) There can be changes in policy, particularly policy as it affects IETF documents. Policy changes that affect the IETF have to come from the IETF, with sufficient clear community support (at least to the level of rough consensus) for the trust to act on. 2) There can be changes of mechanism. The trust could learn that the mechanism that it adopted has a flaw. For example, RFC 5377 specifically leaves the marking determination and legal writing to the trust. Within a defined policy. If the trust determines it needs to change its mechanism, the whole point of that structure was to not need a new RFC. But it does require checking with the community to make sure that there are no surprise (in particular, this space is full of unanticipated side-effects. More eyes can help with that.)

So the trust does need some procedure by which it checks with the community that mechanism changes are acceptable.
The published steps look reasonable to me.

Note that it is perfectly reasonable (but I hope and expect very rare) for someone in the public review cycle to say "hey, you are changing the policy (not just mechanism) we all told you about." In which case, assuming other folks agree, the ballgame changes.

Yours,
Joel

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I agree with the proposed policy, except that I propose
calling it just "Procedure". It isn't policy, it's just
common sense about how to implement policy.