Re: AD review of draft-zorn-radius-pkmv1-04.txt

> Following on Dan's review, I've reviewed the document for agreement
> with the RADIUS design guidelines document [1]
>

> Both the PKM-SS-Cert and PKM-CA-Cert attributes provide 'ad-hoc'
> extension of the RADIUS attribute size, much like the EAP-Message
> attribute.

Actually, the method specified is identical to that in RFC 3579.

? It would have been preferable to follow the extended
> attribute format [2]. This provides a standardized way of carrying data
> larger than a 253 bytes.

Yet again, I'm puzzled: RFC 3579 is "ad-hoc" but an Internet-Draft is a
standard?

> In Section 3.4. PKM-Cryptosuite-List, can the attribute be longer
> than 253 bytes? If so, do the same ad-hoc rules as above apply? The
> IEEE specification seems to permit attributes up to 32768 octets in
length.

It also defines exactly 6 supported cryptographic suites.  The maximum
length of the PKM-Cryptosuite-List Attribute is therefore 20 octets
(2+3(6)).

> Section 3.5. PKM-SAID, defines an attribute containing 2 octets of
> data. It would be preferable to use a 4-octet type, and to specify that
> the upper 2 octets are zero. This would allow the attribute to fit
? within the existing RADIUS data model, as discussed in Section 2.1.1 of
?
> It is worth noting that since RADIUS only supports unsigned integers
> of 32 or 64 bits, attributes using signed integer data types or
> unsigned integer types of other sizes will require code changes, and
> SHOULD be avoided.

I guess that it's not worth noting that the Salt field in the
Tunnel-Password Attribute (RFC 2868) is 16 bits long (I'm just not sure
why).

> Section3.6. PKM-SA-Descriptor defines another complex attribute as
> discussed above. It would be good to define this as a 64-bit integer,
> which would fit within the RADIUS data model.

It would be good to define dinosaurs are imaginary, too -- that would fit
the Biblical data model.  Unfortunately, dinosaurs did exist and the
PKM-SA-Descriptor is not a 64-bit integer.