Re: FW: Last Call: draft-harkins-emu-eap-pwd (EAP Authentication Using Only A Password) to Informational RFC

My opinion is also that the best place to develop standards track EAP methods is in a WG. We've published a fair number of other methods through other means, and they have generally been either Informational or Experimental. Of course, there is no hard and fast rule. But in this situation I think getting the WG involved would be beneficial.

It sounds like many people are of the opinion that this work would be useful, but that the EMU WG does not have bandwidth to deal with another work item. I'm not sure how to solve that problem. Creating a new working group may not help, because its really the same experts that should be looking at EAP method documents. But I hope that we have made a correct assessment that the WG does not have the bandwidth. Sometimes we restrict WGs to a limited number of work items without realizing that people's interests to work on specific topics cannot be transferred to other topics.

In any case, the ability to have a real impact in implementations should be a guiding factor in deciding to adopt work. I'm a little worried based on Russ' information that there are no implementors beyond the authors. Is that one implementation, or several from the different authors, by the way? Standards track specifications should be interesting enough for at least a few different implementors.

Jari