Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

It is not the height of the barrier, it is the perception that people
are making nit-picking objections for the sake of rubbing people's
noses in the fact that they can decide where to put the bar.

If this was about really about quality or readability I would be a lot
more sympathetic. But when a draft is rejected because xml2rfc
produces a txt file that is rejected because some nit-picker does not
quite like the exact TXT format then the whole process is bogus.

Just make xml2rfc the default input format and let the secretariat use
the perl script of their choice to produce the output versions.

Just make sure that one of those output versions is HTML.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM, james woodyatt<jhw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2009, at 15:01, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> The original thread is about Internet Draft submission, not RFC
>> publication format. The two topics are completely disjoint in the IETF
>> procedures.
>
> Disagree.  The two topics are intimately related by their functions in IETF
> policy and process.
>
> Internet Drafts are our slushpile.  It the manuscript format required by the
> RFC Editor does not closely match the manuscript format required for
> consideration as an Internet Draft, then we will only be making the task of
> reviewing the slush and preparing manuscripts for publication all the more
> difficult for ourselves.
>
> Do we really want to loosen *only* the I-D submission requirements and not
> the RFC Editor requirements as well?  I don't think so.  We would only want
> to do that because we think we're not getting enough slush to review, and
> we're worried that we might be losing valuable contributions because the
> barrier to submit is too high.
>
> Honestly, is that *really* the problem IETF is facing?
>
> (Note well: I am not expressing an opinion about whether IETF should or
> should not change its archival format.  I'm still forming an opinion about
> that.  This message is about editorial process.)
>

> --
> james woodyatt <jhw@xxxxxxxxx>
> member of technical staff, communications engineering

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/