Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker<hallam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The TXT versions do not print on my printer and have not printed
> reliably on any printer I have ever owned.

Yes, and that history goes back a couple of decades for me.

> I know that some UNIX folk just love to rub the noses of the rest of
> us in this dog poop but it gets tiresome. Just because it works for
> some people does not mean that it is the best way to do things.

Hey, I'm as Unix-y a person as there is, and simultaneously as fierce
a despiser as you can find of 80-character 66-line hard-to-read
impossible-to-print ignores-decades-of-advances-in-publishing-tech
i18n-oblivious ASCIIlicious IETF worst practices.

Another data point, by the way.  I am a major consumer of the Internet
through a mobile device (an Android phone in my case, but whatever).
RFCs are essentially unusable on this device in the legacy text
format, but work fine in xml2rfc-generated HTML.

I think that in the big picture, usability on a mobile device is
several times as important as usability on the hypothetical
ASCII-capable line printer that presumably must have once existed
somewhere.

> The W3C has worked out how to print professional looking standards in
> a format that we can safely assume will be readable for the next
> thousand years at least. We will lose the ability to read bits long
> before we lose the ability to read HTML, or for that matter reverse
> engineer PDF.

Yes, although I wouldn't recommend adopting their publishing system.
Can we please join the current millennium?  I'd be happy to help.

 -Tim