Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management(Guidelinesfor Considering Operations and Management of NewProtocols and ProtocolExtensions) to BCP

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Farrel" <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <opsawg@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:58 AM

> In the discussion of IETF consensus of this document and its position as a
> BCP or otherwise, can I throw into the melting pot
> draft-ietf-pce-manageability-requirements-06.txt

Yes, a clear concise set of steps to follow when writing an I-D.

The other comment I would make on the I-D under Last Call is on the first
sentence of the abstract, to whit,
"  New protocols or protocol extensions are best designed with due
   consideration of functionality needed to operate and manage the
   protocols. "

True, but not, I think, addressed by this document.  There is plenty in this I-D
for the I-D editor but little for the protocol designer. The latter might
benefit
from advice on how to structure elements of the PDUs and the interchange of
PDUs; it may be difficult to know whether or not a network is functioning if
there is no keepalive.  (A comparable discussion surfaced recently on
apps-discuss over the best way to encode lengths).

I appreciate that this I-D does not set out to give such advice but think that
someone reading the abstract might expect it to.

Tom Petch