Re: IAOC Meeting location selection

John,

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 03:39:17PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> When you have time, I (and I believe others) would like to
> understand better how you evaluate "reasonable costs for the
> IETF and attendees".   I think it is general knowledge that it
> is possible to trade IETF costs off against participant costs
> (e.g., making things cheaper for the IETF and more expensive for
> participants).  It would be good to know how the participant
> costs are estimated and how the two are balanced.

While I appreciate your interest in such details, I believe we should
also be realistic in how precise such trade-offs can be made. Eg. the
IAOC just doesn't have the staff or budget to create detailed models
on the cost/benefit analysis and the IAOC would easily end up in a
situation where more money/energy gets spend to try to determine the
optimum site location and to fully inform the community on every
decision it makes. Basically, what I expect the IAOC to do is to make
a judgement call based on the various variables.

So far, I don't believe there is any evidence that IAOC has made
decisions to hold meetings in places that are completely out of the
question. At the same time, by occasionally holding a meeting in a
location that is somewhat unusual, we will continue to be able to
evaluate whether all our assumptions about the importance of airline
hubs or the desirability of a short train trip are really that
important for all participants.

Basically, instead of endless discussions on the merits of a required
short railtrip from 1 of 3 different very large airports that are all
listed very high in the european top 10 hub airports, let's go to
Maastricht and see how it will work out.

David Kessens
---