Re: Status of the 16-bit AS Number space

Tue, May 05, 2009 at 08:22:27PM +0200, Florian Weimer:
> * Steve Crocker:
>
> > I strongly advise against quick reallocation of returned AS numbers.
> > Returned AS numbers should stay out of service for a substantial
> > period of time.
>
> Why?
>
> It seems to be consensus among operators that it's fine to use other
> people's ASNs in the global routing table, so such reuse shouldn't
> pose any additional problems.

It IS fine to use an ASN that has been assigned or loaned to you.

The question is why there should be moratorium on returned ASNs.  I can
think of one reason that could be of dis-service to a new assignee, but
all we have so far is handwaving from the proponents.