Re: Fwd: Status of the 16-bit AS Number space

Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:13:12AM -0400, Russ Housley:
> I thought that the whole community would like to be aware of this status.
>
> Russ

My understanding is that the registries have not been reassigning ASNs
that are returns but were not allocated from IANA as part of a block.
AS1 for example, would not be reallocated if it were returned.  So, in
theory there are far more available than this lets on.