Re: Consensus Call for draft-housley-tls-authz

On 12 mrt 2009, at 21:08, Richard M Stallman wrote:

If experimental RFCs are peer-reviewed, that means they require a kimd
of approval.  Others have expplained how this approval has an effect
on the public.  I'm saying that the IETF should not give this
approval to patent-restricted practices.

Based on what you've said, the IETF could stop publishing experimental
RFCs and say "Submit it to a journal instead," and there would be
little loss.

In general, journals don't publish protocol specifications.

And from where I'm sitting, publication as experimental is not so much an approval by the IESG as a lack of approval to publish as standards track. I'm sure that is lost on most people, though.

I don't think the world needs more experimental RFC that only serve to legitimize a patent encumbered protocol, but not all experimental RFCs fall into that class.