Re: Does being an RFC mean anything?

Title: Re: Does being an RFC mean anything?
If someone fails to read the front page of an RFC which clearly states what that document is and is not, that is their problem. There is no excuse for stupidity or laziness.

There is a real problem with people thinking that RFC == Free License. We need to educate people and maybe consider new ways to get that message out. But it has nothing to do with the status of the document. The purpose of RFCs is in the *name*: Request For Comments. How much more clear can you get? It is a memo publication channel for documents related to internet technologies. It is a way for people to communicate ideas and preserve them. Standards are just a small part of it.

There is no connection between the document status (standard, info, experimental, etc.) to its IPR status. Yes, most standards tend to be free, but that is still a document by document distinction. And to argue that it is different elsewhere is wrong. For example, OASIS has plenty of standards that are not free. I am willing to bet that there are more fee-based licensed standards in the world than free ones. You have to understand the wide range of topics discussed in the IETF and the fact that a lot of it might be of no consequences to open source developers. It is not the job of the IETF to fight against the patent system. What we need to make sure is that the communities creating standards ensure that their expected audience can implement it.

If you don’t understand how something works, saying its broken is the lazy way out. Should we do a better job educating people about the IPR consequences of using RFCs? Of course! Should we make it harder for encumbered tech to make it into standards? Hell yeah! But we need to solve the problem where it belongs.

As for TSG’s comments: show me an organization this size that doesn’t have people who worry more about their ass than the community they are in. You comment makes as much sense as saying that you would not vote for president because politics is dirty and all about self promotion. Grow up.

EHL