Re: Early implementers motivations [was Re: Running Code]

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug at acm dot org> wrote:
If you did contribute an early implementation or did think of > contributing but finally didn't, please respond to this email with > your story.  Interesting points are why you did (or not) the early > implementation, will you do more, what would motivate you to do more > early implementations, etc... You can send your responses directly to > me if you do not want to respond publicly - I will keep them > confidential and post just a summary of the responses.
I did an early implementation of RFC 4646 while it was in draft form, and updated it for draft-4646bis.  Indeed, the work that ultimately became RFC 4645 and the initial IANA Language Subtag Registry started as a prototype.
I did this solely to help flesh out the ideas being discussed in the LTRU WG and as a smoke test against the group's output, not because of any expectation of monetary gain or tangible, widespread recognition --  which is a darned good thing since I haven't received either one, though I did get an Acknowledgement in 4646.
Other people inside and outside the WG have built their own validators for both 4646 and 4646bis.  Having to list all of these implementations in the drafts would have made a slow review and approval process even slower.