Re: [dnsext] RFC 3484 section 6 rule 9 causing more operational problems

* Tony Finch:

> It seems that Vista implements RFC 3484 address selection, including the
> requirement to sort IP addresses. This breaks a great deal of operational
> dependence on DNS-based load balancing, as well as being based on an
> incorrect understanding of how IP addresses are allocated.

I assume you are referring to IPv4 address sorting.

This has previously been discussed on DNS-related IETF WGs.  The
general belief is that this is not a DNS issue.  I find this a rather
strange conclusion, but we have to live with it.

RFC 3484 is being revised in one or more of the IPv6-related WGs.  I
don't know how far this effort has evolved.  There does not seem to be
a way to address the IPv4 part of the issue indepedently.

So right now it seems that the IETF is structurally incapable of
correcting this badly engineered specification.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@xxxxxx>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99