Re: Running Code

Henry Sinnreich wrote:
>  Brian,
>
> Having running code only as a guideline has not served the IETF well
> lately, since it is largely ignored.
>
> I am still cringing during the IETF SIMPLE meetings when we use Jabber
> IM that has the code free and available.
>
> Would the SIMPLE WG have had the mandatory requirement of running code,
> SIMPLE would be much further ahead.

Which remind me of this quote from A. Lyman Chapin (in [1]):

"It didn't take long to recognize the basic irony of OSI standards
development: there we were, solemnly anointing international
standards for networking, and every time we needed to send
electronic mail or exchange files, we were using the TCP/IP-based
Internet!"

[1] Malkin, G., "Who's Who in the Internet: Biographies of
    IAB, IESG and IRSG Members", RFC 1336, May 1992.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx