Re: Internet Society joins Liberty Alliance Management Board: Why?

On 2009-03-02 10:21, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> On 2009-03-02 07:17, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>>> What is particularly interesting to me, about this line of comment, is
>>> not whether the relevant IETF-based technologies are superior or whether
>>
>> Can you point me to the IETF WG(s) that are considering identity
>> management as a whole? I know there was the DIX BOF at IETF 65,
>> but since then??
>
> Brian,
>
> A fair question, but Identity "management" seems to have varied
> meanings, depending on who is discussing it.  There is, for example, a
> good argument that any authentication activity is part of, or involves,
> ID mgmt.  So OpenPGP, S/MIME, DKIM, TLS and the emerging OAuth
> acitivities come to mind.
>
> So does DNS...
>

>> But when it's an area that *is* relevant to the Internet,
>> but that the IETF appears to have passed on, it's less clear
>> what the discussion would achieve.
>
> passed on?  huh?  when did we do that?

Well, what I mean is that the IETF did what it normally does
(and this is not a criticism): chose to work on various bits
and pieces (as you list above) but *not* to work on a general
framework. Whatever people think about the Liberty Alliance, or
efforts like Shibboleth, they are trying to look at the big picture.

This assertion is a couple of years out of date, but people I knew
who are experts in the identity management area never thought that
the IETF was relevant except as a source of atomic components.

   Brian