RE: [TLS] TLS WG Chair Comments on draft-ietf-tls-authz-07

Hi Sam,

I am aware of some of the authorization mechanisms used in Kerberos (e.g.,
those introduced by Microsoft).

The issue here is a bit different, particularly on the Internet (in
comparison to the pure enterprise space).

We see a good deal of SSO solutions being deployed. To provide incremental
deployment the protocol designers have written their specs in such a way
that they do not require end host modifications. It turned out that this is
a fairly good idea to find excitement in the industry. It seems that end
host changes (even if they are only in the browser) aren't so easy. Many
other solutions are theoretically possible to solve the WebSSO problem when
you assume end host modifications are possible.

Now, the question (for me) is why someone should deploy a new technique that
requires end host modifications when they can get a similar result with
already widely deployed mechanisms. (Not speaking about the OpenID being
fairly popular on the Internet due to it's simple deployment model.) To
answer this question, I believe, one has to start with a particular problem
/ usage scenario.

I don't want to prevent anyone from standardizing (or even implementing) new
authorization extensions for TLS but all the discussions we see about the
IPRs are IMHO a bit over the top. I have a hard time seeing the widespread
deployment in front of me. I could be wrong -- we will see in a few years.

Ciao
Hannes