RE: [TLS] TLS WG Chair Comments on draft-ietf-tls-authz-07

Hi Josh,

>Hannes wrote:
>> Melinda wrote:
>> >
>> > and that there are
>> > some non-trivial advantages to carrying authorizations in-band.
>> Namely...
>
>I don't wish to speak for Melinda, but this is a view shared
>by many within my own community.
>
>I have a long list of applications, collected from within this
>community, with which they would like to use SAML-based
>authorisation;

Interesting. Any interest to share it with us?

>and it seems to me that the ability for
>application protocols to share a common mechanism for
>expressing authorisation would mitigate or perhaps even avoid
>the need to make application-specific authorisation extensions.

My experience: authorization is often related to the specific application
domain.

Furthermore, working on SIP SAML I noticed the problems when you go down to
specific solutions scenarios.

>(The fact that SAML-based Web SSO uses SAML that is bound to
>the application-layer is, I believe, only an artifact of a
>requirement to avoid modifying contemporary Web browsers and I
>don't think it is an approach that would necessarily be
>desirable for the general case.)

... a reasonable transition plan, in my view.
The reason for the success of these IdM solutions, particularly OpenID.

>Binding authorisation to TLS, as suggested by this document,
>is one approach that would satisfy the 'common mechanism'
>requirement indicated previously.

Looking forward to see your solutions.

Ciao
Hannes