Keep Standards Open

I am writing to ask you not to approve the proposed patent-encumbered standard for TLS authorization. To do so would fly in the face of the IETF's fundamental commitment to openness. It would weaken not just the standard itself, but the IETF's authority in this sphere.

At a time when there is increasing awareness of the importance of supporting truly open standards that can be implemented by anybody without recourse to licensing, it would be a truly retrograde step to allow this patent-encumbered standard to be approved.

I urge the IETF to send a strong signal in support of open standards by rejecting the proposal.

Perry
Perry L. McDowell - mcdowell@xxxxxxx
Executive Director, Delta3D Game Engine
Office: Watkins Hall Room 211
Tel: (831) 656-7591 Cell: (831) 915-8396
Mailing Address:
Naval Postgraduate School
Watkins Annex Room 265
700 Dyer Road