RE: how to contact the IETF

Noel wrote:

> Rather than adopt indirect measures (such as requiring people to be
> registered users of a list), I would go straight to the heart of the
> matter, and adopt a formal policy that a mass email campaign should
> count _against_ the position taken by that campaign, precisely to
> dis-incentivize such campaigns.

A formal policy would require some clear definition of what a "mass email
campaign" is.  How would/could we draw a line and define that term?

Would 100 people sending more or less the same text to a list in less than
24 hours constitute a mass email campaign?  I would say 'yes'.

What about 50 people over 2 days?  Maybe still 'yes'.

How about 20 people over a week, or 10 people recited the same cut and
pasted text during a longer last-call timeframe?

I am not trying to pour cold water on your idea here, but rather I am
wondering how something like this could be formalized, versus handled as an
exceptional case when and if it occurs.

Regards,

Ed  J.