Re: how to contact the IETF

    > From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

    > This means that those "driving by" have to be tolerated, I think.

Ah, no.

Because if organizing an email campaign works for the FSF, next thing you
know, BigCorp X will be telling everyone who works for it 'we want standard Q
approved, please send email to the IETF list about that'. If we allow
ourselves to be influenced by a mass email campaign, all we are doing is
virtually guaranteeing that we will get more.  So I think we have an active
interest is responding _negatively_ to such campaigns.

Rather than adopt indirect measures (such as requiring people to be registered
users of a list), I would go straight to the heart of the matter, and adopt a
formal policy that a mass email campaign should count _against_ the position
taken by that campaign, precisely to dis-incentivize such campaigns.

	Noel