Re: Last Call: draft-farrel-rtg-common-bnf (Reduced Backus-Naur Form(RBNF) A Syntax Used in Various Protocol Specification toProposed Standard

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Farrel" <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf@xxxxxxx>; "Tom.Petch" <sisyphus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-farrel-rtg-common-bnf (Reduced Backus-Naur
Form(RBNF) A Syntax Used in Various Protocol Specification toProposed Standard

> Thanks John,
>
> It looks to me from your mail that we are in partially violent agreement.
>
> Certainly that this form of BNF needs to be documented.
> Also that the Applicability text I have added "will do."
>
> We have two open issues:
> - Use of 2119 language
> - Standards Track or Informational
>
> On the first, I take your point and am uncomfortable about using 2119 for
> what is not a protocol spec. Experience seems to be, however, it helps
> readers to understand that a rule is a rule.
>
> On the second, I would like to defer to the IESG. I will raise it with the
> sponsoring AD (Ross) and get them to discuss it when they process the I-D.

I agree with John that Standards Track is inappropriate for this I-D (and agree
that it does need publishing). I see either Informational or Historic as
appropriate and when this leads to Normative downrefs, then again, I see that as
appropriate.

I think too that there is a third issue, of a better name than RBNF.  John
clearly showed that this I-D is not reduced.  Historic? Deprecated?
Limited_applicability? Variant? Simplified?

Tom Petch