Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewandcomments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

Hi -

Problem
> er... thats -NOT- what I was trying to point out.  The IETF
> was given permission to publish an authors work but was not
> allowed to impune joint authorship. The IETF did not create the
> work - it provided a publication vehicle.

That certainly was *not* my understanding when I offered my services
as an editor for the various IDs and RFCs where I've functioned in
that role.  I, and I'm sure many others in those working groups,
thought those documents were products of the working group,
which did that work for the IETF.  For me to claim authorship of,
e.g., RFC 3417, would be intellectually dishonest.  For the IETF
to claim that I was its author, rather than merely an editor acting
on the instruction of a working group, is downright delusional.

Randy