Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:17:47AM -0800, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Bill Manning wrote:
> > "This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to all provisions of
> > Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the right to produce derivative works
> > is not granted."
> -  and  -
> > So for some IETF work product, there are/were people who assert a
> > private ownership right in the materials they generated.  I think
> > that the IETF Trust should be very careful in using/reusing that
> > material, esp w/o asking permission.
>
> This is consistent with what I've been saying, namely that IETF RFCs are
> joint works of authorship.

	er... thats -NOT- what I was trying to point out.  The IETF
	was given permission to publish an authors work but was not
	allowed to impune joint authorship. The IETF did not create the
	work - it provided a publication vehicle.

> 1. The fact that IETF never previously granted the right to produce
> derivative works can easily be corrected by one of the joint copyright
> owners, in this case the IETF Trust, now granting that license. As I
> understand it, this is what Simon and others have been arguing for all along
> for the IETF out-license.

	going forward, perhaps.  retro-active, not so sure.

> 2. The IETF Trust owns a joint copyright. That also means that we can't
> object if the other joint copyright owners assert their own private
> ownership rights in the materials they generated. Who's stopping them? None
> of the joint owners needs to ask permission of IETF or any others to do
> anything they want with those jointly-owned IETF RFCs.

	I think the basis of the argument revolves around the assertion
	of "joint" ownership. ... and there are concerns with all forms
	of communications over IETF sanctioned/sponsored channels - e.g.
	the "Note Well" - not just the RFC series.

> > There, I've spoken up ... reserving my right to speak now and later
> > on this topic. (not going to "forever hold my peace").
>
> Please excuse my poetic turn of phrase. As others have privately pointed out
> to me, it is unlikely that anyone on here will respond to my plea to declare
> their private claims any more than anyone does even at the worst of
> weddings. That is another reason why the IETF Trust asking permission to do
> what we wish with our own industry standards is such a futile exercise.
> Hardly anyone has the courage or incentive to say "No" and publicly declare
> their private ownership of our common standards. That is why we have to take
> the risk to do what we need to do and simply dare anyone on here to sue IETF
> when we allow certain kinds of derivative works.

	thats ok... i'm not really "anyone" so i am sorry for taking
	your statements at face value.

> For the lawyers on here, I'm hoping that silence now, particularly by the
> major IETF contributors on this list, will be interpreted as laches or
> waiver if one of them later claims an exclusive copyright interest in any
> IETF RFC.

	sorry - not waiving those rights to you or anyone else.

--bill

> /Larry

--bill