Re: The internet architecture

Am 24.12.2008 um 19:50 schrieb Bryan Ford:

So in effect we've gotten ourselves in a situation where IP addresses are too topology-independent to provide good scalability, but too topology-dependent to provide real location-independence at least for individual devices, because of equally strong forces pulling the IP assignment process in both directions at once. Hence the reason we desperately need locator/identity separation: so that "locators" can be assigned topologically so as to make routing scalable without having to cater to conflicting concerns about stability or location-independence, and so that "identifiers" can be stable and location-independent without having to cater to conflicting concerns about routing efficiency.

As far as specific forms these "locators" or "identifiers" should take, or specific routing protocols for the "locator" layer, or specific resolution or overlay routing protocols for the "identity" layer, I think there are a lot of pretty reasonable options; my paper suggested one, but there are others.

Cheers,
Bryan

thanks brian for your great explanation , something came to my mind imediatly,

.........i remember these days when i connect to the internet using my 1 und 1 - 14,4kb modem in the 90th

there was no NAT,

 i connected with a little programm to a specific ip adress,

there was not even DNS involed at that time. for the programm i was talking about ;)

So there were no caches und buffers with information about my usage exept on the server where i was connected to.

Just one question because i am reading a lot about all these routing ptotocols in the past , is uia / uip more usefull in sparse or dense networks or both ?

bright new 2009

cheers from cologne

Marc

i believe that "Kademlia " [ 1 ] for example and the technologies
mentioned in the  linked paper [ 2 ]
would fit the needs and requirements for a future proof internet.

[ 1 ] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kademlia
[ 2 ] http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/uip:hotnets03.pdf

Les Enfants Terribles - WWW.LET.DE
Marc Manthey 50672 Köln - Germany
Hildeboldplatz 1a
Tel.:0049-221-3558032
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
mail: marc@xxxxxx
jabber :marc@xxxxxxxxxx
IRC: #opencu  freenode.net
twitter: http://twitter.com/macbroadcast
web: http://www.let.de

Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

Please note that according to the German law on data retention, information on every electronic information exchange with me is retained for a period of six months.