Re: The internet architecture

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been thinking this for some time too, and it's especially
>>> true/clear when the multi-homing in question is site multi-homing,
>>> and not host-multihoming (which is much rarer, is my impression).
>>
>> Most networkable consumer electronics ships with at least two network
>> interfaces. Host multihoming is only rare because it doesn't work.
>
> Why do you say it doesn't work ?

The kind of multihoming I am talking about is where you are using multiple
links for redundncy or resilience - i.e. the same reasons for site
multihoming. I did not mean other kinds of multihoming, such as multiple
addresses on the same link (which I don't think should be called
multihoming) nor links which connect to different networks - which
includes VPNs and gateways/routers. (The site-level equivalent of the
latter is private peering.)

The kind of multihoming I mean is the kind that trivially supports
mobility as a degenerate case, since mobility is just repeated failover.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
ROCKALL: SOUTHEASTERLY 5 OR 6, OCCASIONALLY 7, BUT 4 IN NORTH AT FIRST. SLIGHT