Re: The internet architecture

John Day <jeanjour@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 11:34 -0500 2008/12/29, John Leslie wrote:
>>
>> I accept "reliability and flow control" as the transport layer's
>> primary function, but denying it access to multiple interfaces cripples
>> its ability to perform those functions in a mobility environment.
>
> Transport has nothing to do with mobility.

   To whatever extent we accept the existence of "transport" for
stationary computers, we must allow it for mobile computers.

   I think we're arguing semantics here, without agreeing on what we
mean by "transport". I'd much rather continue that argument on a different
mailing-list.

> Trying to guess where you are coming from, don't blame Transport for
> TCP's faults.

   TCP has many faults, only some of which are related to its "transport
layer" functions.

   Where I'm coming from, BTW, is a long series of primal screams when
I hear someone proposing how to deal with transport issues in a
routing protocol.

>>> Although, these distinctions of Network and Transport Layer are . . .
>>> shall we say, quaint.
>>
>> True, we can't seem to agree to a distinction and stick with it,
>> but "quaint" is hardly the right word -- it's more like "deja-vu all
>> over again."
>
> No, quaint. As in "isn't it quaint how people saw things in olden times"

   But, IMHO, we _never_have_ seen network-vs-transport in a consistent
way.

>>> Multihoming is fundamentally a routing problem.
>>
>> Absolutely not.
>>
>> Routing is a function of discovering connectivity and propagating
>> information about routes to routers that may want to use them.
>
> Boy, if discovering routes and propagating routing information isn't
> a routing  problem, then what is?

   Multihoming (or mobility, if you prefer) isn't about "discovering"
alternate connectivity: it's about verifying that something arriving
via a different path is in fact controlled by the same process as
something we're already communicating with. That is _not_ a routing
issue -- routing merely attempts to deliver packets.

>> Multihoming is a funtion of maintaining alternate paths in order
>> to avoid interruptions of connectivity when a primary path hiccups or
>> becomes congested. (Just like mobility...)
>
> Right.  Routing.

   Even if we were to accept a flooding paradigm for routing (and send
every packet out every interface), multihoming would still require
sorting out which packets to trust.

>> Multihoming _should_not_ wait for connectivity to fail altogether;
>> least of all should it wait for connectivity failure to propagate
>> through an internet.
>
> That is a policy decision that routing is free to make and does.

   Although routing _does_ make such decisions, architecturally that's
noise, not a native "network layer" function. Network-layer is about
getting packets through a network of networks _at_all_ -- not about
managing everyone's Quality-of-Service wishlists. "Efficiency" issues
in routing are there to keep routing from breaking, for example by
routing packets in a loop until TTL is exhausted.

>> We have pretty good routing algorithms for _stable_ networks. We
>> have to kludge those algorithms to work _at_all_ in unstable networks.
>> Mobility by its nature _cannot_ be stable. (Multi-homing is most
>> often done as protection against occasional instability.)
>
> Of course it can.  You just aren't asking the right question.

   Feel free to correct me -- what question should I be asking?

   I'd be happy to talk about that -- on the <tae@xxxxxxxx> list.

>> Routing finds paths between "nodes" using "links". These "nodes"
>> _are_ points of attachment, not computers (whatever those may be).
>> Routing _must_ deal in topology, not physical proximity.
>
> Nodes are not points of attachments. Well, not to the same routing
> algorithm.

   To a routing algorithm, "nodes" are "nodes", period. True.

   But in the Internet, IP addresses _are_ points of attachment, and
network-layer routing finds paths between "points of attachment".

>> We have been punting entirely too much to "routing" for decades.
>> There are other perfectly valid ways to divide the problem. And IMHO,
>> any way that makes the realm of "routing" reside in a "stable" space
>> is a _better_ paradigm.
>
> O, and BTW, did I say we don't solve multihoming in routers either?

   Not this week... ;^)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>