Re: Why the IETF is irrelevant to the future of e-mail

Nothing personal, but you could hardly ask for a better
illustration.

For one thing, this isn't a case of broken DNSBLs, it's a case of
getting what you asked for.

Rather than using shared DNSBLs, this tiny host on a non-profit public
access network is desperately trying to run its own spam filters.
Maybe you sent him blowback from spam with forged addresses, maybe he
just mistyped someone else's address.  Whatever it was, in the absence
of shared DNSBLs, the option isn't no filtering, it's a million local
filters on a million mail hosts with millions of mistakes that can
only be corrected one by one.  At least this one was competent enough
to let you know that he'd rejected your mail.  A lot of the million
mail admins aren't.

For another, "I'm too important to block" is not a winning long term
response.  We're all important in some areas and unimportant in
others.  Spam sucks, spam filtering sucks, DNSBLs suck, but in a world
where >95% of all mail is spam, not filtering spam sucks way more, and
it even sucks way more than filtering with occasional mistakes.

If, rather than trying to do his own filtering, this guy used some of
the popular reliable DNSBLs (none of which list 69.25.196.31) both he
and you would have avoided this screwup.

Much though we might wish otherwise, spam and spam filtering aren't
going away, and by their nature, spam filters make errors.  Anyone who
claims otherwise is way, way, out of touch.  Some of us would rather
try to figure out ways to improve the delivery of real mail and
minimize the errors than rant about it.

R's,
John