Re: The internet architecture

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 04:51:20PM -0500,
>  Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 40 lines which said:
>
>> Not a week goes by when I'm not asked to figure out "why people
>> can't get to a web server" or "why email isn't working".  In about
>> 70% of the web server cases and 30% of the email cases, the answer
>> turns out to be DNS related.  IP failures, by contrast, are quite
>> rare.
>
> If it were true, I would wonder why people never use legal URLs like
> <http://[2001:1890:1112:1::20]/>...

because IPv6 literals wouldn't work for the vast majority of users today?

I do see links to URLs with IPv4 address literals.   sometimes they're a
good choice.

but you're really missing the point, which is that DNS fails a lot.

note that DNS failures aren't all with the authoritative servers -
they're often with caches, resolver configuration, etc.

Keith