Re: The internet architecture

Rémi Després wrote:

> IMO, service names and SRV records  SHOULD be supported asap in all
> resolvers (in addition to host names and A/AAAA records that they
> support today).
> Any view on this?

a) SRV records only apply to applications that use them.  to use them
otherwise would break compatibility.

b) SRV records also increase reliance on DNS which (among other things)
is a barrier to deployment of new applications.  use of SRV would
therefore encourage overloading of existing protocols and service names
to run new applications (another version of the everything-over-http
syndrome).

c) use of SRV would encourage even more meddling with protocols by NATs

d) it's not immediately clear to me that it would be feasible for SRV to
be used by applications that need to do referrals.  they'd need some way
to generate new, unique "service names" and there would need to be a way
to generate and distribute new DNS dynamic update credentials to those
applications or even application instances.

and that's just the problems I can think of off the top of my head.

Keith