Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

* Mark Andrews:

> In message <87skpt279z.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Florian Weimer writes:
>> * Stephane Bortzmeyer:
>>
>> > Second question, the document indeed standardizes many things which
>> > are not in common use but does not point towards a rationale, so some
>> > choices are puzzling. Why TXT records to point to an URL and not
>> > NAPTR? Is this because of current usage in DNSxL? If so, this should
>> > be noted. But why IPv6 lists use a A record and not a AAAA? I am not
>> > aware of existing IPv6 lists so this cannot be the current usage?
>>
>> The lack of a macro capability also means that it's basically
>> impossible to secure DNSBL zones with DNSSEC when they contain larger
>> chunks of address space; see the example in section 2.1.
>
> 	How so?

The expectation is that error messages generated from TXT records
contain the actual IP addresses which triggered the DNSBL lookups.  As
a result, if you list a /16 (say), you need publish 65,536 different
TXT records.

Currently, these records are synthesized using a macro capability in
the DNS server.