comments on draft-ietf-p2psip-base-00 re enrollment

Hi,

   I propose that we should allow some flexibility in the discovery process by decoupling the enrollment server from the overlay configuration document.  Currently, section 11.2 specifies that this overlay configuration file is obtained from an enrollment server.  A more flexible mechanism would be for the overlay configuration file to exist on its own and instead specify an enrollment server. So

I propose we add an <enrollment-server address=”” port=””> required entry into the overlay configuration file. This address would then be used to contact the enrollment server and actually enroll in the overlay. The benefits of this include

1.       Overlays can be advertised separately on aggregators similar to torrents. A torrent file is self contained and an overlay configuration file can be the same way.

2.       With self-generated credentials specified in 11.3.1, an enrollment server may not even be part of the process and an overlay configuration file could simply be emailed to participants to create an overlay. There is no need to retrieve it from a given enrollment server.

Thanks,

Saumitra