Re: Comments on Draft IRTF ASRG DNSBL - 07

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 02:57:32PM -0800, Randy Presuhn wrote:
> This may be due to misuse of DNSxL technology or other reputation
> systems, but if this small sample is any indication of the
> extent to which the technology is being used inappropriately
> or incorrectly, it suggests that significant educational effort in
> "correct" or "appropriate" uses of the technology is needed.

I agree -- both with the notion that much of this is due to misuse
of the technology and that significant educational effort is needed.
That effort has been underway for over a decade, and some of the people
commenting here (as well as the document's author) have been a large
part of it.  This document may thus in one sense be seen as an adjunct
to those efforts, since it's a BCP for *operating* DNSBLs -- adoption
of which will complement education directed at those *using* DNSBLs.
(And as Chris alluded to briefly, perhaps a second BCP which concerns
itself with that second audience would be a good idea.)

---Rsk