Re: several messages

> In fact, the people who use these DNSBL blacklists do so only for a
> short time, until they get burned and stop using them.  That's what
> happens routinely with SORBS.

If SORBS is your idea of a best-of-breed DNSBL, I can understand your
scorn.  But it's not.  You want to see a DNSBL done right, go look at,
say, the Spamhaus lists.  Their Zen list is one of the best available,
perhaps even _the_ best, for general-purpose use.

> In the 1990s, I found ORBS and Osirusoft scanning for open relays and
> then abusing them.  I discovered this by setting up open relays,
> logging TCP connections, and submitting the relay to the blacklist.
> After the blacklist scanned the relay, it began getting abuse with no
> further scanning.

How long was it between setup and submitting?  Between submitting and
abuse?  I regularly see attempts to abuse hosts that do not run mailers
and never have; I believe there is malware out there that is basically
trying random - or, occasionally, sequential - addresses to discover
open relays.  While I would be one of the last to defend a DNSBL that
"tests" hosts, I think what you saw is more likely evidence of the
relay being discovered independently than of a feed from the DNSBL to
the spammers.

> But DNSBLs can't solve the problem when spam is sent via botnets.

That's actually true, but not for the reason you imply.  DNSBLs can't
solve the problem _at all_; it's a social level problem and requires a
social level solution.  Wnat DNSBLs do is mitigate the damage so that
we have at least middling-usable email while solutions evolve at the
social level.

Furthermore, you appear to think that all DNSBLs are reactive in
nature.  This is not true; there are at least a few DNSBLs that
proactively list "large indistinguishable pool" addresses.  In at least
one case, the pools are submitted to them by the providers that run the
pools.  Using such a list puts a substantial crimp in direct-to-MX
spamming.

> If the sending site uses a static IP address that stays static long
> enough to be listed in a DNSBL, it probably isn't unsolicited spam.

"Probably"?  What is it you are saying the probability of is high?
(Precision is important; there are reasonably plausible interpretations
of what you wrote that are almost tautological and there are other
reasonably plausible interpretations that are nowhere near true.)

There aren't many addresses, as a fraction of the Internet, that are
statically assigned and send spam.  But the fraction is definitely
nonzero, and they tend to send a lot.  DNSBLs work very well indeed
against those.

DNSBLs are not a magic bullet.  But they are one of the more useful
tools - one of the few that is still useful even with large swaths of
the net using it.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx