Re: IP-based reputation services vs. DNSBL (long)

   I find myself in complete agreement with Keith's major points:

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Several people have argued (somewhat convincingly) that:
> It's important to keep these in mind, as they appear to make a
> compelling case for some kind of standardized reputation service.

   I might add that we don't need to standardize anything if we're
happy with what we already have.

> 2. Several people have also related experiences of valid messages being
> blocked by such reputation services, and of the difficulty of routing
> around them and getting their reputations corrected.

   Many "ordinary" folks are abandoning email rather than even _try_
to fix such problems.

> 3. An informal protocol for reporting reputations using DNS has been in
> use for several years, and such use has become widespread.  An IRTF
> group (ASRG) began a useful effort to document this protocol.

   Such an effort is clearly useful for research purposes, and should
also be useful for any future attempts at standardization.

> 4. At some point ASRG decided that the protocol should be on the IETF
> standards track and has requested such.

   This is where we went wrong.

   Well, actually we went wrong quite a while ago, when a prior IESG
decided not to have a WG considering the spam problem in general. I
can't entirely blame the folks who have latched onto IRTF's ASRG in
the absence of an appropriate IESG forum.

   (And now we're carrying out a flame-war here -- a clear indication
IMHO that we need an IETF (not IRTF) list to move this discussion to.)

> This process that produced this proposal reminds me of several patterns
> I've seen come up often in IETF.
>
> 1. The first pattern is when an author or group gets confused between
> the goal of writing an informational document to describe existing
> practice, and the goal of writing a standards-track document that
> describes desirable practice.

   This is human nature. IETF has developed protections againt this
(which do not require flame-wars). We should use them.

> 2. The second pattern is when people insist that a widely deployed
> protocol is inherently deserving of standardization, without further
> vetting or changes, merely because it is widely deployed.

   This is commercial nature. IETF could use better protections against
this...

> 3. The third pattern is when a closed industry group, or an open group
> that is not chartered to develop a standard protocol, insists that its
> product merits standardization by IETF because it has gained consensus
> of that group.

   This is not necessarily bad. But IESG (usually) tries to avoid the
situation getting this far -- by giving widespread notice of a WG charter
and encouraging cross-area review _before_ IETF last-call.

> Such efforts can be considered in the IETF process as individual
> submissions, but they need a great deal of scrutiny...

   I entirely agree, even though the necessary scrutiny is easy to
misinterpret as personal attacks by folks who "don't understand the
situation".

> The main point to be made here is that the consensus of an external
> group means nothing in terms of either IETF consensus or judgment of
> technical soundness.  In particular, external groups often have a much
> narrower view of protocol requirements than IETF does.

   This is important! It's worth reading again.

> All of these patterns are associated with delays in accepting a
> standard.  They are also associated with poorer quality standards.

> So my recommendation to ASRG (and this document's authors) is as follows:
>
> 1. Abandon the effort to publish draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl as a standards
> track document, and instead commit to publishing it as an Informational
> document as an accurate description of existing practice.  Be sure to
> document observed limitations of existing practice.

   This is really easy to do, and wouldn't cause any delays.

> 2. Ask IETF to charter a working group tasked with developing a protocol
> for communicating email sender reputation.   The group can consider
> DNSBL as a possible solution but should not be bound by a requirement to
> be compatible with it, or to use DNS at all.

   Lisa and Chris have stated that they're open to consider chartering
new WG if there seems to be consensus on a charter.

   What about it, folks?

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>