Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery(DHCPv6 Bulk Leasequery) to Proposed Standard

Hi -

Uh...  One of the useful features of tables is to organize related information
into conceptual rows with common INDEX values.  I'm not sure where
"a single table of a single variable at a time" comes from - GetBulk
certainly has no such limitation.

> For example, you start by walking a table of "index" advertisements,
> where you receive an 'index number' that can be used into other MIBs
> to find variables associated with that database entry.
>
> For each of these indexes you discover, you could then queue single
> GET PDU's for each separate variable you were interested in (lease
> state, lease expiration time, ...).

That would be a spectacularly inefficient implementation strategy.
I should hope there's nothing in the SNMP RFCs that would be
read as encouraging such wasteful behaviour.

> There are 'performance alternatives' from there, and they are
> fantastic to entertain because so many SNMP server implementations
> will outright crash if too many PDUs are queued in a single packet
> (others corrupt their replies if there are more than single PDU's).

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  An SNMP message (which
would normally be carried in a single UDP datagram) by definition
contains exactly one SNMP PDU.

> This becomes more problematic when you consider that some leasequery
> clients are going to want only a subset of the MIB's total contents.
> The question truly is "what leases did I have in my table before I
> rebooted?"  Such filtration in an SNMP MIB model I think would be
> done on the client end, not on the server end, meaning the client
> still must traverse some entire MIB one PDU (GETNEXT or GETBULK) at a
> time.

This depends on the design of the MIB module in general, and the
selection of the INDEX elements in particular.  Choosing INDEX
elements for a MIB module is *not* the same problem as selecting
indexes for a database.  The use cases for information access, such
as "what leases did I have in my table during time period X" are also
important.  Sometimes it makes to have "shadow" tables that do
nothing but provide re-ordered access to the table with the "real"
data - but this requires careful thought about what the high-frequency
or high-value use cases are.

Randy