Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-pce-path-key-03

On Oct 13, 2008, at 6:20 PM, Adrian Farrel wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the time and effort.

Responding as an author not as a WG chair...

Section 2.1, paragraph 3:

The last sentence is confusing. "...until the LSR that can process it." does not seem to describe an event that one can wait "until". Should it say "...until it reaches the LSR..."?

The grammer and syntax are fine (you just have to know the "normal" ERO processing rules set out in RFC 3209 :-)

We can tidy as follows...

OLD
 The PKS MUST be preceded by an ERO subobject that
 identifies the LSR that must expand the PKS, so the PKS will not
 be encountered in ERO processing until the LSR that can process
 it.
NEW
 The PKS MUST be preceded by an ERO subobject that
 identifies the LSR that must expand the PKS. This means that
 (following the rules for ERO processing set out in [RFC3209])
 the PKS will not be encountered in ERO processing until the ERO
 is being processed by the LSR that is capable of correctly handling
 the PKS.

That helps, thanks.

Section 2.2, paragraph 1:

s/ingress/"ingress LSR"

Not sure this is necessary. "Ingress" is generally used in related work with "Ingress LSR" being used the first time to help set the scene. Ditto "egress".

Okay. If that is the normal usage among MPLS documents, then it's fine with me.

Sections 3.1.1 and 3.1.2

No explicit definitions for "Path Key" in either section. If the intent is for the language in section 3.1 to serve as the definition in each of these subsections, it would be good to have something like "Path Key: See section 3.1". (Although just reprinting it here would allow each of the formal subobject definitions to stand alone a little better.)

Hmmm.
This is a more fundamental concept and so is already defined in Section 1

 This document defines the notion of a Path Key that is a token
 that replaces a path segment in an explicit route. The Path Key is
 encoded as a Path Key Subobject (PKS) returned in the PCEP Path
 Computation Reply message (PCRep) ([PCEP]). Upon receiving the
 computed path, the PKS will be carried in an RSVP-TE Path message
 (RSVP-TE [RFC3209] and [RSVP-PKS]) during signaling.

I don't think we need to reproduce the definition or refer back to it from later in the document. It is, after all, the only thing that the whole I-D is about.

Understood, but I'm not sure I agree. The two sections I mentioned are the formal definition of the subobject syntax. People will jump to that section for reference purposes, or even try to cut-and-paste from it. Even having a placeholder for Path Key, with the description of "defined by this document" would help. But even then, the rest of the document doesn't have a single place that fully describes it. For example, Section 1 says it is a "token", but as far as I can tell (and I could be mistaken--I don't have the draft in front of me as I right this), the only place to learn it's length is in the diagrams in sections 3.1.1 and 3.1.2,

Section 4:

The section covers actions in failure cases, i.e. if the PCE does not recognize itself, or if the requesting LSR receives a negative reply. The actions taken in the success case may seem to obvious to state, but it would be good to state them explicitly anyway :-)

OLD
 The retrieval of the explicit path (the CPS) associated with a PKS
 by a PCC is no different than any other path computation request
 with the exception that the PCReq message MUST contain a PATH_KEY
 object and the Path Key bit of the RP object MUST the set.
NEW
 The retrieval of the explicit path (the CPS) associated with a PKS
 by a PCC is no different than any other path computation request
 with the exception that the PCReq message MUST contain a PATH_KEY
 object and the Path Key bit of the RP object MUST the set. On
 receipt of a PCRep containing a CPS, the requesting PCC SHOULD
 use insert the CPS into the ERO that it will signal, in accordance
 with local policy.

That helps, thanks.

Section 5, third bullet point in first list:

Do you mean "DoS attacks" rather than "DNS attacks"?

Thanks!

Section 6.1, paragraphs 2 and 3:

Can you either restate the suggested default, or reference the section? Otherwise, this requires a bit of an easter egg hunt on the part of the reader.

Para 2: yes. Should ref Section 2.1
Para 3: I think you mean para 4. Should also ref Section 2.1

Yes, thanks.

6.2, paragraph 1:

If I read this right, you state a normative requirement that another draft be updated. That seems an odd use of normative language. In any case, am I correct in assuming that someone is ensuring that this update happens?

Eeek!

I think we need to use 2119 language for what happens if the MIB document is updated to cover this function, but I don't think we can require that the document is updated.

I'm not sure if you mean the language is fine as is, or should be revised. I admit to not being an expert in what conventions we follow for keeping MIBs up to date with protocol extensions.

Ops ADs may disagree!

Always!