RE: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

Dear Lakshminath,

> I left Dublin thinking, out of the p2pi efforts, TANA will be
> a WG (there was strong consensus and agreement on the problem
> space and what needs to be done) and ALTO may have another
> BoF.  As of today, there is a WG proposal on the table for
> ALTO and in a different area from where we started; TANA is
> on the BoF wiki.
>
> Next, my experiences in the past on BoFs that did not have
> consensus have been dramatically different from what is
> happening on ALTO.  The IESG has really even refused to allow
> another BoF much less directly started creating a working
> group.  So, it makes me wonder whether the rules have
> recently been changed or whether they are selectively applied.

I am not an IETF veteran, but from my experience it is perfectly ok for post-BoF discussions to happen on the mailing list and for these discussions to resolve some of the controversial issues at the BoF. I think this is was happened with ALTO. I also think that the IESG has been following the discussions on the mailing list and the WG Review is in fact a reaction to the agreement which has been found on the mailing list regarding the disagreements from the BoF.

Just my two cents ...

 - Jan