RE: FW: IETF copying conditions

I'm moving this to ietf@xxxxxxxxx There are important policy implications
here that the entire community should understand before we let the IPR WG
decide for us on a policy so opposite to open source and open standards!

I am also copying this separately to the Open Web Foundation (OWF) list,
which I believe may have some interest in ensuring that it can copy and
modify IETF specifications for its own standards any time it damn well
pleases.

/Larry

> > At 11:18 AM -0700 9/17/08, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> >> Suppose you were to specifically ask whether IETF wants to prevent
> other
> >> SDOs from re-publishing (modified) IETF text within their own specs? Do
> you
> >> expect that the community here really wants to limit the use of IETF
> specs
> >> in that way?
>
> Yes, undoubtedly that was the WG consensus. We don't want to see other
> SDOs
> publishing incompatible versions of our protocols, period. And this is
> not paranoia; it's evidence-based, although I don't want to point the
> finger
> at specific SDOs, since such matters are usually handled by courteous
> bilateral discussions. Using copyright protection is clearly a last
> resort.
>
> >> Why on earth would a volunteer, cooperative standards
> >> organization like IETF want to do that to other volunteer, cooperative
> SDOs?
>
> Becaus our primary mission is to make the Internet work better, which
> requires interoperable protocols, which precludes incompatible versions.
>
>    Brian

Please note: There is an earlier set of emails on this thread in the
archives of the IPR WG.

/Larry