Re: Simpler than draft-rfc-image-files-00.txt

At 3:01 AM +0200 8/26/08, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
>>>  It has to be tuned for the "or more" part of "one or more".
>
>>  I can't fully parse your meaning, but I think I disagree.
>
>Yes, I also think we disagree.  I prefer one file and URL per
>figure, avoiding all questions of TARs / ZIPs / JARs / TGZs
>to bundle them.

There are no such questions with the proposal. The RFC Editor gets to
decide how to handle this instead of us trying to mandate this from
IETF consensus.

>  > The RFC Editor, on a case-by-case basis, can choose to have
>  > one file containing multiple figures, or multiple files.
>
>Can we maybe agree on "one subdirectory" for these "packs" ?

No. For one, I didn't say "packs", you did. For another, it is silly
to try to lock this down now before we have working examples of what
would be best.

>I'd like to have a "one-click interface" (IPR: ammazon) per
>figure.

And I would like the RFC Editor to have flexibility to do the right
thing as time moves on.

>P.S., unrelated, John wrote about UTF-8:
>
>| I don't see any point in trying to discuss or critique such
>| proposals until there is one...
>
>http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-01.txt

...which is long-expired for very good reason.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium