Re: Simpler than draft-rfc-image-files-00.txt

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> From the draft, the problem to be solved is:

>  Documents in the RFC series normally use only plain-text ASCII
>  characters and a fixed-width font.  However, there is sometimes a
>  need to supplement the ASCII text with graphics or picture images.

ACK.  Please note the plural, graphics or images, one or more.

> a simple solution would be for RFCs to be able to reference art
> files archived by the RFC Editor using format-neutral URLs.
> Initially, those art files could be GIFs, PNGs, or PDFs. Years
> from now, when there are no commonly-available readers for a
> particular image type that was used earlier, the RFC Editor of
> the time can convert the old images to newer ones.

My condolences when they are ever forced to do something more
complex than "rm" with "PDF abused as artwork".

> An example of a format-neutral URL might be
> <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcs/rfc5110.art>.

> This proposal takes no changes from the current format for Internet
> Drafts or RFCs. It does require that the RFC Editor add some tools
> and maintain URLs in a consistent manner, but that is what they are
> paid to do. It also avoids the problems that have been listed so far.

Yes.  It has to be tuned for the "or more" part of "one or more".

E.g., rfc5110.a01 for artwork 1, and so on.  Yakuv's idea was
apparently to embed the figures directly where they are used in
formats supporting this, XML, XHTML, or PDF.  (For the X-fomats
an "embedding" is of course by reference, no B64 data-URL stunt).

 Frank